In October 2013, I had the opportunity to work on a concept project at the request of Eiffage for the French company to bid on the construction of a base camp of 6000 workers in Halmahera, Indonesia. I made a concept project after intensive research on ERAMET, the mining company who owns all the concessions on the Weda Bay Nicket plant.
The concept project has not been retained, but I am sharing it in this course to question the role of governmental entities, non-governmental organizations, architects, engineers, mining companies, their buyers and the public. Ultimately, I show how the problematic of a base camp can offer solutions for the housing of homeless people.
In this case study, I am sharing the PowerPoint made in October 2013 which I am updating with more recent data. At the end of this study, I am discussing with additional content how we can transform the environmental destruction into a preservation project and how younger generations of architects and engineers can participate in the preservation of natural resources. I also discuss the ISO 26000 certification on social responsibility and how we can apply it in the conception of low cost housing projects.
If you do not like to read, or if you have difficulties to read, you can listen to each lesson by clicking anywhere on the text or on the red arrow at the beginning of the text. For automatic translations, you can use Alexa.
If you like this course, please consider to donate. We use APLOS as our accounting software and all payments are made with secured payments on WePay, a Chase Bank company.
The context around the Weda Bay Nickel Project
- Geographic location of Weda Bay Nickel Project: Halmahera
- Rare earths: A global issue
- ERAMET competition analysis: Norilsk Nickel
- ERAMET competition analysis: Vale
- ERAMET competition analysis: Nickel Asia Corp
- ERAMET competition analysis: Newmont
- War of the Worlds: The Three Apes
- The war of the worlds: biodiversity
- The war of the worlds: the status of animals
- The war of the worlds: ERAMET
- Weda Bay Nickel: in the sights of NGOs
- Tsunami 2004 : Nanggroe Aceh Darusalam
The concept project
- Weda Bay Nickel: a strategy
- Weda Bay Nickel: a cultural project
- Weda Bay Nickel: a proposal
- Weda Bay Nickel: ground plan
- Weda Bay Nickel: workers’ houses
- Weda Bay Nickel: expat houses
- Weda Bay Nickel : media center
- Weda Bay Nickel: heart of life
- Weda Bay Nickel: soil-less agriculture
- Weda Bay Nickel: breeding
- Weda Bay Nickel: before deforestation
- Weda Bay Nickel: during deforestation
- Weda Bay Nickel: non-timber forest products
- Weda Bay Nickel : un projet écologique, les nouvelles technologies
- Weda Bay Nickel : le coût du projet
Impact of the concept project
The role of an architect